Monday, February 2, 2015

January Pics

These are some pictures from January.  Over a long weekend, we were meeting Kevin's friend Paolo up at the middle school to play some football.  Before they got there, Caroline joined in some football fun.
The boys always like punting the ball through the uprights.
After football, we went to piano lessons, where Mrs. Sonja had her violin out.  Caroline decided to try it out.  I don't think violin is in our future.
Kevin came home one day and had to memorize a poem that the kids each picked out.  I about died when I saw the length of this thing.  Really?  Memorize this thing in one night and present tomorrow?  Well, he worked really hard and he did it!  Of course I found out that most of the kids picked a 4 line poem.  Kevin picked this one because of the Quarterback in the title.  This boy does love his football!
Caroline was asked to fill in for an injured girl on a 3v3 team.  They ended up winning the tournament!  She had a good time playing - not so much fun in the pyramid.
This year Kevin has his First Reconciliation and First Communion.  Here he is after doing his First Reconciliation.  Funny story, if not somewhat inappropriate on my part -  We got a new priest, but because of various things, we never got to hear him at Mass.  I went one day by myself and found that the priest was Eastern European.  The kids asked about him, and I said that he sounds like, "I vant to suck your blood."  I know - Bad Mommy.  Of course the next time we went to Church, he said Mass.  When he started talking, the kids started cracking up.  So skip a month or so when I realize that Kevin has his First Reconciliation coming up - panic ensues.  What if Kevin gets the new priest?  What if he tells him what I said?  What if he starts laughing when he talks to him?  Lo and behold, who does he get?  Vampire priest.  Awesome.  Well, needless to say, I was in full panic mode during the confession.  As soon as Kevin was done saying his penance, I quizzed him.   He says he didn't say anything or laugh.  I threatened him with having to go back to confession if he lied to me.  He says he told the truth.  All in all, probably not the nice First Reconciliation experience we should have had.  But we do have fun - even when not proper!
Caroline and I went to Panera before doing some shopping.  She loves the French rolls, especially pulling out the soft inside.  She acted like an addict pulling out the yummy inside.
When we go to shoe stores, Caroline just has to try on at least one pair of high heels.
Kevin had a soccer tournament in the Orlando area, Caroline begged to go to a Japanese steakhouse for dinner.  She got the adult portion, so she could have as much steak as possible!
Kevin wasn't a huge fan of the food, but liked his ginger ale that came with a cute little umbrella.
Here is Kevin playing in his tournament.  His team didn't do great, but showed great signs of improvement.  They lost 2, tied 1.  The tie game was a tournament buster for one of the best teams.  Take that Orlando City!
For Literacy Week at school, Caroline had to dress as one of the year's vocabulary words.  She was "Alert"  That is a flashlight in a red cup on top of her head.
Meanwhile, Kevin had Oreo Project Day.  They had to do various centers associated with Oreos.  This one was estimating and then measuring how far an Oreo would roll at different inclines.
Here he is doing a fast and dirty, quick to topple over, Oreo stacking contest.  They also did centers where they had to see how many Oreos it took to balance the weight of various objects, how much weight it would take to break an Oreo, and how long a certain number of Oreos were.  The hardest part of the day for me, was to keep the kids from eating the many times touched Oreo sitting around. After I left they did a buoyancy test to see if an Oreo floated in milk.   They got to eat a few Oreos in this center.
Yesterday we went to the zoo.  They had 3 new lion cubs and a baby giraffe out.  They were so cute!
Of course we had to hit the play area at the zoo.  Now though, it is more fun climbing the rocks than getting in line to go on the slide or play in the treehouse.
But always time to take a rest on the spiderweb!

No comments: