Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Fun

This year soccer has really taken a toll on us all.  We decided to get out and do something fun that wasn't soccer or school related.  We went to a corn maze to have some Fall fun!
Here we are venturing into the maze.  Kevin and I had come here last year on a field trip.  When we came before, we went into a simple maze and were led through by a guide.  There was a cute story posted throughout and I really don't think you could get lost.  This time, we went as normal people.  We did get lost a few times.  In Phase 1, we made it out, but somehow missed a couple steps.  We made it all of the way through Phase 2 though!  The maze was a lot of fun!
There were other activities at the farm.
There were other activities too, but they had long lines and after a bunch of snacks, we decided to head home.  The maze was the best part by far.
Kevin had a project to do for school.  He had to read a book, find his favorite character in it, decorate the pumpkin to look like his character, and write a short book report.  Kevin fell in love with the Jedi Academy series recommended to us by Michael, and loves the character Egon.  Here he is painting his pumpkin brown.
I have been doing a terrible job taking pictures of Kevin's class projects.  He had done a project about the weather.  His teacher gave the kids the option of doing a poster or a diorama.  If Caroline had been assigned this task, she would have created a poster, no questions asked.  Research, do a nice, neat write up, assemble, done.  Kevin thinks and works much differently.  He was assigned Fog and Smog.  He decided to create 2 Lego scenes.  The first was a nice farm, with a red barn, farmer, and animals.  He took white batting and laid it over his farm to represent the fog.  He wrote up an index card about what fog is and included his favorite pictures of foggy scenes.  The second scene was a city, full of tall grey buildings and cars.  The minifigures he used had the faces of his doctors and nurses, complete with masks.  He also used scarves as masks and firefighters to round out the people. I dyed the batting grey and laid it in his city.  He did the same index card/photos for smog.  It turned out really great and I'm so upset with myself for not taking a picture.  It all fell apart on the ride home and what was left was quickly converted into a Star Wars base for his clone troopers.

This is Egon after he came home from school.  If you notice behind Kevin, a few of his horns fell off.  Oh well.  Second child alert.  I promise I will do better...
Ok.  I promise I will do better after this one... On Halloween, the kids went to school dressed as an idiom.  Kevin chose to be a piece of cake.  Easy costume.  Not my best work, but it will do.  I forgot to take a picture.  Luckily my friend Liza was nice enough to snap a picture in the classroom and send it to me. 
The kids were so excited when they came home from school.  The neighbor's tree had started dropping leaves and they blew into our yard.  They raked them ALL up.  Don't get jealous.  This is a Florida Fall!  They each did a single jump and were over it.
This was the weirdest Halloween yet.  Thursday Kevin came home telling me that he didn't want to go trick-or-treating. What?!?! I figured this would blow over, so I let it go.  Friday - same thing.  I couldn't believe it.  I had to force him to go out and get free candy.  Who is this child?

Caroline was a Tennessee cheerleader and Kevin got a Commander Cody costume, but he decided it would be someone else from Star Wars: The Clone Wars.  I can't remember the name.  I still feel like the only real Star Wars were the original 3.  I guess I'm getting old.  Kevin tells me that The Saga as he calls the original 3 are boring.  The Clone Wars are so much better.  Whatever. 
We went out with Avery and Riley again this year.  We wanted to see Aunt Leslie and Michael, but both kids had 2 soccer games on Saturday.  Kevin's first was at 8:30, so we needed to stay near home and make it an early night.  I thought I was going to have to be the bad guy an force everyone home, but no.  Kevin never really wanted to go out and Caroline and Avery got tired and wanted to call it quits.  That was easy, but a bit sad, seeing the kids get older and lose interest.

No comments: