Saturday, May 5, 2012

First Holy Communion

The day of First Communion I brought Caroline to her classroom early.  Here she is with Teagan, Braxton, and Kevin.
Here she is with her amazing teacher Mrs. Griffin.
And here she is receiving her First Holy Communion from Father John. 
We hung around to take a few pictures.  Here is Caroline sitting in a pew.
Our family in the Church by a stained glass window.
Caroline in our front yard in her beautiful dress.  She wore the headband I wore when I got married.  Most of the girls wore a veil, but Caroline wanted to wear the headband (I was happy to hear).  I thought she looked beautiful and it suited her perfectly.
Gorgeous!
Prayer
And one last picture of my beautiful girl on her First Communion Day! (STOP reading here if you want to believe this was a beautiful non-stressful easy going day!!!)
Now all that aside.  It was not a pleasant morning for anyone involved.  We had a rushed morning.  We got up early.  Cooked breakfast casserole.  Ate.  Clean up a little and prepared for people coming over for lunch.  Got myself and Kevin ready, then began the process of curling Caroline's hair.  Spray, twist, curl, repeat over and over for about 40 minutes. Get Caroline's dress and shoes on.  Fix polish on Caroline's fingernails that chipped.  Grandma, Caroline, and I raced to the Church.  Grandma went to get seats, while I took Caroline to her classroom.  Wow! 9:45 and hot and humid already.  Go in find that Grandma was only able to secure half of one pew for 7 people plus a baby to sit - 3rd row from back.  Church was packed already.  Spread my stuff all over the pew that we had secured - all the way up next the guys leg that was on the other half.  Grandma counts 151 kids receiving First Communion today.  Ugh!  Go out to call Carrabbas to give credit card for food that friends are picking up.  No answer.  Deliver cards to friends.  Missed call from Carrabbas - hear on message that they were cooking a half plate of cheese ravioli - not half catering tray  WHAT!?!?!?!  Go outside in heat to call Carrabbas.  Get through on the 6th try.  Give credit card.  Clear up order.  Go back inside.  Find that guy pushed my stuff over.  Now have even less space for family to sit.  Asshole!  Tom, Kevin, Susan, Isabella, Grandpa, and Brian show up.  Not enough room.  Hot in Church. Susan and Isabella go to crying room.  Luckily secure a rocking chair.  Rest of us squished in small space in hot Church with no air movement. Service begins.  Older man collapses in front of us from heat.  He leaves in ambulance.  First Communion begins.  Each of the 151 kids go up singularly.  Can't see a thing.  Kneeling FOREVER!!!! Kevin starts whining.  We are hot, tired, and hungry.  Finally it ends.  Kids all go up for a group picture (which I have viewed and it is horrible.  The kids in the front row's heads are cut off from the pew.  That's ok.  Each picture is $55.  Don't need it)  Take some family pictures knowing that the lighting in the Church is so bad that 99% of them won't turn out.  Go outside.  Crazy hot.  Crazy sunny.  Zillions of people taking pictures in front of the statues.  We take a few pictures.  Every single picture has us horribly squinting.  Caroline's eyes are watering from the glare.  We are starving, hot and cranky.   I lose it.  We leave.  Go home take a couple pictures in the shade.  Caroline has had enough.  Food and friends come over.  I drink a bottle of wine.  Finally we can relax!  That was ridiculous.  Way too many people.  It was standing room only.  Kids all sit together, so family can't see them receive their communion.  That picture I posted of Caroline receiving First Communion cost me $55.  Total scam.  Everyone else I know at other churches split the kids into 2 groups, so you can see your child receive communion.  That was insane.  151 kids and their immediate and extended families.  I heard about 3 fights that went on in the Church over seating.  Yeah a real beautiful religious experience for all.  This better be fixed before Kevin receives his first communion. I am still pissed about it (if you can't tell).

No comments: